“I love listening to Brazilian jazz, but when I try learning bossa nova on guitar, I sound like I have no clue what I’m doing. It’s so frustrating!”
The biggest problem players face when learning jazz guitar (that keeps them stuck in a rut and not experiencing results) is:
Practicing scales, arpeggios, and chords, but never playing actual songs. It’s like you’re always learning and never performing. And how fun is that?!
Sound familiar? Learning jazz guitar can be a frustrating experience, especially if you don’t have an organized, proven learning method to guide you.
Have you had any of these common jazz guitar experiences?
- You learn countless scales, arpeggios, and chords, only to keep asking yourself, “When will I ever play actual music?”
- You kind of know what to practice, but everything feels disorganized. How is today’s material related to yesterday’s and tomorrow’s material? It all feels like guesswork with zero organization to your practice routine.
- You know that learning standards are essential for jazz guitarists but learning a full jazz song seems overwhelming and no fun at all.
Over the past 25 years, I've played over 2500 gigs, taught over 8000 private lessons, and given workshops all over the world to guitarists of all levels.
I’ve found that many online courses and teachers overcomplicate jazz standards, making jazz seem difficult to learn with discouraging exercises that provide zero results.
This is 100% not the case with my Wave Study Guide.
In this course, I walk you step-by-step through proven methods guaranteed to teach you authentic jazz lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and more.
With this Wave Study Guide, you benefit from my 25+ years of jazz guitar experience, so you know exactly what to practice for.
3 Ways This Course Expands Your Playing:
1. Learn Authentic Bossa Guitar Material - Sound like you grew up on a beach in Rio with this authentic, essential bossa nova guitar material.
2. Organize Your Practice Routine - Don’t waste time wondering what to practice and when. This course teaches you essential bossa skills with an organized approach that makes practicing easy.
3. Learn a Full Jazz Standard - Stop learning bits and pieces of songs in your studies. With this guide, you learn an entire jazz standard and have fun in the practice room. Win-win.
"I just love it when I see a new video lesson posted by Matt…
"His lessons are concise and to the point! I wish that his lessons were available to me when I was learning how to improvise!"
- Vic Juris (Jazz Guitar Legend)
Learn how to use this course, why you should learn this material, and how to get the most out of your practice time with these lessons.
How to build, play, and apply the most important and commonly used sub in all of jazz, the tritone substitution.
Learn must-know ii V I voice leading skills that will instantly take your jazz comping chops to the next level.
Learn must-know ii V I voice leading skills that will instantly take your jazz soloing chops to the next level.
Nail the trickiest chords in Wave as you learn classic jazz guitar outlines over these challenging changes.
Turn your one guitar into two as you bring a two-hands of a piano approach to your comping and soloing with Wave.
I show you how to best review this material and how to take this material forward in your playing. The next best step in your jazz development is in this chapter. You also get a bonus lesson – Matt’s Favorite Warmup Exercise.
How to Get the Most from this Course:
1. Follow the curriculum order - Start with the introduction, learn how the course works, then jump in and practice the chapters in order. All lessons are presented in sequential order to make practicing fun and easy.
2. Practice at your own pace - As you finish any section, click “complete and continue” to mark your progress. Then, play at your own pace. You have lifetime access to this course, so there’s no rush at all. Take your time and work at the best pace to fit your schedule.
3. Coaching from Matt - As you work through this course, post questions in the comment boxes below any exercise or in the chat bubble in the bottom right of any screen if you get stuck. I’m happy to answer your questions and give constructive, positive feedback. You can also post an unlisted YouTube video in the comments for feedback on your playing.
Who is this Program For?
This course is designed for guitarists looking to play authentic Brazilian jazz and learn an essential bossa nova song.
It's for guitarists who:
- Guess at rhythms when comping bossa nova.
- Aren't sure how to create melodic, bossa nova solos.
- Love the song Wave, and Jobim, and are ready to learn this tune.
- Have struggled with learning Brazilian jazz in the past.
- Want to expand your technique, fretboard knowledge, and rhythmic skill set.
I've lived in Brazil, performed with Brazilian musicians, studied Brazilian jazz for years, and have developed an authentic bossa nova sound in my playing.
I want to share with you everything I've learned about how to play bossa nova on guitar through this Wave study guide.
Who is this Course NOT For?
As your Wave guide, my job is to keep this course positive, encouraging, and welcoming for EVERY guitarist who joins. That’s why this course isn’t for you if…
- You’re looking for a “Guitar God quick” fix. There’s no such thing as an overnight guitarist. This program is about building a long-term relationship with the guitar that leads with enjoyment and real growth – not hype or impossible promises.
- You’re not a team player. This isn’t American Idol for guitar, it’s not a competition. The MWG Community is a safe environment for new and experienced guitarists to support and learn from each other. This is for team players who encourage growth in their fellow guitarists – not trolls who heckle their peers.
- You’re a negative Nelly. If you like to complain, tear down, or argue with other guitarists just for the sake of it, this program isn’t for you. We’re about encouragement, welcoming new players, and positive, constructive feedback. No negative energy or comments allowed in this program.
As seen on...
What You Get
The Total Value of This Course and Bonuses Is Over $715
If you have the desire to learn jazz guitar, then you can reach your musical goals with the Wave Study Guide.
And, I don’t want you to have to spend a fortune to find jazz guitar happiness in you practicing.
I’ve made the Wave Study Guide affordable for anyone who wants to ditch the struggle of learning guitar soloing on their own.
You won’t pay $720, $320, $120 or even $50 like some other overpriced courses you see online…
You’re about to gain immediate access to a proven bossa learning method that levels up your playing today.
And, all you pay for this premium step-by-step course and coaching is $10, this week only!
That’s less than you’d pay for 10 minutes of a private lesson.
Instead, you get a full multimedia jazz guitar course that levels up your playing and helps you quickly reach your jazz guitar goals.
In return for this massive discount, I’d really appreciate your honest and constructive feedback so I can keep making my courses more successful for you and everyone in the MWG community.
Other than that, all I ask for is your full commitment and positive attitude so you can get the most out of this blues challenge and reach your guitar goals.
How This Course Transforms Your Playing
1. Gets You Jam Session Ready Today -
Everything you need to prepare this song for a jazz jam session is in this course. Chords, rhythms, scales, arpeggios, licks, patterns, etc. are all here to get you jam session ready today.
2. Develop Rock Solid Soloing Chops - Learn skills that make playing any jazz standard that much easier as you easily and quickly translate this material to any jazz song in your studies.
3. Play Authentic Bossa Chord Shapes - Not only do you learn authentic Brazilian rhythms, you learn the exact chord shape bossa players use to get that smooth sound in their comping.
What You Get with Wave Study Guide - Quick List
This course is only available to GMM Members
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
Can I download the files for each course?
You can download all PDFs, audio examples, and backing tracks to practice offline. The videos are only viewed on the page.
What if I have a question about the courses or about music?
You can post all questions related to the course in the comments section of any section. I aim to answer all questions within 24 hours of posting. Also, you can use the instant messenger on the bottom right of page to ask questions or you can email me at [email protected].
What if I don’t know where to start with my playing or which course to start with?
No worries, use our success paths and follow the step-by-step guides to learning what you want to work on – getting started, jazz guitar, blues guitar, guitar technique, lead guitar, rhythm guitar and much more!
What if I want access to multiple courses or MWG eBooks?
This is why we have the Guitar Mastery Membership which includes ALL previous and future courses as well as every single eBook Matt has ever produced.
This course is only available to GMM Members