Fully engaging multimedia lessons provide endless learning & enjoyment.
Download and jam to all the audio examples and backings tracks for each course.
Courses are filmed to give you the best experience in the practice room.
Have a question or need help? Matt will provide feedback to you 7 days a week.
Matt’s proven practice strategies are guaranteed to increase the level of your playing.
“Summertime is one of my all-time favorite jazz songs. But when I try to play it on guitar I fumble and sound nothing like my favorite players. I feel like giving up, this sucks!”
The biggest problem you face when learning Summertime (that keeps you stuck in a rut and not enjoying your playing) is:
Learning chords, scales, and arpeggios that fit Summertime, but never learning “real,” authentic, jazz concepts, techniques, and ornaments.
Sound familiar? Learning jazz standards can be a challenging experience, especially if you don’t have an organized, proven method of study to guide you.
Have you had any of these common jazz standards learning experiences?
You’re told to learn scales to solo over jazz songs, then you sound like exercises when improvising, it’s never organic or musical.
You know what chord shapes to play over jazz songs, but you can’t get them to sound like Wes, Joe, or Benson.
You’re tired of wasting time looking for exercises that are fun to play and that produces real results quickly in your playing.
Over the past 25 years, I've played over 2500 gigs, taught over 8000 private lessons, and given workshops all over the world to guitarists of all levels.
I’ve found that many online courses and teachers overcomplicate jazz standards, making it difficult to learn with boring exercises that produce exactly zero results.
This is 100% not the case with the Summertime Study Guide.
In this course, I walk you step-by-step through my proven learning method guaranteed to teach you authentic jazz guitar skills and concepts.
With the Summertime Study Guide, you benefit from my over 25 years of jazz guitar experience, so you know exactly what to practice for immediate results.
3 Ways the Summertime Study Guide Transforms Your Playing:
1. Play the Exact Chords Jazz Pros Use When Comping - Stop wasting time learning chord shapes you never actually play. Instead, learn the exact chords that jazz greats use in their comping and chord soloing.
2. Turn Scales and Arpeggios Into Killer Jazz Lines - Learn the exact “wrong” notes that jazz guitarists use to transform scale and arpeggio shapes into melodic and memorable lines. No fluff, just the good stuff.
3. Add Target Notes to Blues Scales for Authentic and Easy Jazz Lines - Use target notes to turn your basic blues scale shapes into killer jazz lines and solos. Jazz guitar has never sounded so good or been this easy to play.
"He makes learning guitar so much fun you can't wait to practice!..."
"I encourage anyone interested in learning how to play guitar to check out Matt's courses! His lessons are presented in a clear and concise manner, he takes you from the exercises to playing guitar right away. The production quality is excellent which makes it an enjoyable learning experience. I appreciate Matt's teaching philosophy that takes you from where you are to where you would like to go as a musician, he makes learning guitar so much fun you can't wait to practice!"
"Matt’s courses have given me many skills and tools to apply in my guitar playing…"
"His superb lessons are fun, engaging and concepts are very well explained and demonstrated. I am a more confident and skilled guitarist because of Matt’s lessons!"
Here's a Sneak Peek
Learn how to use this course, why you should learn this material, and how to get the most out of your practice time with these lessons.
Learn all about the form, key, progression, and tricks on how to memorize and navigate Summertime in this first section.
The two most powerful notes of any chord, guide tones allow you to use small shapes with big comping results in your playing.
Wes, Joe Pass, Benson, and countless other jazz guitarists built their comping concepts with drop 2 chords. Now you can have that same experience in your playing.
Bring a modern vibe to your Summertime comping and chord soloing with these fun to play 4th chord shapes.
Develop your bassline skills, memorize the form, and learn how to hear the chords to Summertime with these bassline workouts.
Learn how to use box patterns, shifting shapes, and symmetrical shapes with blues scales over Summertime.
Nail every chord in your Summertime solos with these essential arpeggios shapes for each chord in the tune.
Level up your Summertime solos as you dig into 2 levels of modes over every chord in this fun jazz standard.
Dig into the endless soloing vocabulary of one of jazz’s greatest improvisors, Clifford Brown.
Turn your guitar into a piano with this fun to play and engaging Summertime soloing study.
Train your ears as you increase your Summertime soloing skills with this enjoyable Summertime transcription workout.
Learn how to add target notes to your blues scale solos over Summertime. Outline the chords the easy way in this chapter.
Build on the piano style study you learned earlier as you now create your own piano style solos over Summertime.
Bring a classic and essential, inside-outside sound to your solos over Summertime.
Build your chops and expand your soloing vocabulary as you learn to play 2, 3, 4, and 5 note pentatonic patterns.
Turn your chord shapes into cool-sounding melodic phrases with these fun workouts and patterns.
I show you how to best review this material and how to take this material forward in your playing. The next best step in your jazz development is in this chapter.
How to Get the Most from the Summertime Study Guide
1. Follow the curriculum order - Start with the introduction, learn how the course works, then jump in and practice the chapters in order. All lessons are presented in sequential order to make practicing fun and easy.
2. Practice at your own pace - As you finish any section, click “complete and continue” to mark your progress. Then, play at your own pace. You have lifetime access to this course, so there’s no rush at all. Take your time and work at the best pace to fit your schedule.
3. Coaching from Matt - As you work through this course, post questions in the comment boxes below any exercise or in the chat bubble in the bottom right of any screen if you get stuck. I’m happy to answer your questions and give constructive, positive feedback. You can also post an unlisted YouTube video in the comments for feedback on your playing.
How YOU Benefit from Matt’s Teaching Method
This is how Matt's proven teaching method makes you the best guitarist you can be.
Who is this Course For?
This course is for guitarists looking to increase your jazz standard skills by learning the exact jazz concepts legendary players use on records.
It's for guitarists who:
- Are tired of sounding like you’re running scales in your solos.
- Want to create meaningful, authentic jazz phrases over Summertime.
- Don’t want to waste time learning complicated chord shapes you never actually play.
- Love Summertime and are ready to learn it on guitar once and for all.
I've been studying, teaching, and playing jazz guitar for 25 years and I still find new ways to comp and chord solo.
I want to share with you everything I've learned about how to play Summertime so you can reach your musical goals quickly.
Who is this Course NOT For?
As your Summertime guide, my job is to keep this course positive, encouraging, and welcoming for EVERY guitarist who joins. That’s why this course isn’t for you if…
- You’re looking for a “Guitar God quick” fix. There’s no such thing as an overnight guitarist. This program is about building a long-term relationship with the guitar that leads with enjoyment and real growth – not hype or impossible promises.
- You’re not a team player. This isn’t American Idol for guitar, it’s not a competition. The MWG Community is a safe environment for new and experienced guitarists to support and learn from each other. This is for team players who encourage growth in their fellow guitarists – not trolls who heckle their peers.
- You’re a negative Nelly. If you like to complain, tear down, or argue with other guitarists just for the sake of it, this program isn’t for you. We’re about encouragement, welcoming new players, and positive, constructive feedback. No negative energy or comments allowed in this program.
As seen on...
What You Get - Breakdown with Price
FREE MEGA BONUS
Summertime (Dm) eBook $20 Yours Free!
When you purchase this course, Summertime (Am), you not only get the full multimedia course, you also get my best-selling Summertime (Dm) Study Guide eBook.
In this eBook you learn:
- How to play Summertime in D minor.
- How to develop your jazz soloing skill set.
- How to play authentic jazz chords over standards.
- How to have fun every minute of every practice session.
- And more!
Don’t wait, grab your copy before it’s too late and take advantage of this awesome bonus offer.
The Total Value of This Course and Bonuses Is
If you have the desire to learn jazz guitar, then you can reach your musical goals with Summertime.
And, I don’t want you to have to spend a fortune to find jazz guitar happiness in your practicing.
I’ve made the Summertime Study Guide affordable for anyone who wants to ditch the struggle of learning jazz guitar on their own.
This small investment in yourself is the same amount as you paying for 10 minutes of a private guitar lesson.
Instead, you get a full multimedia jazz standard course that levels up your playing and helps you quickly reach your jazz guitar goals.
In return for this massive discount, I’d really appreciate your honest and constructive feedback so I can keep making my courses more successful for you and everyone in the MWG community.
Other than that, all I ask for is your full commitment and positive attitude so you can get the most out of this Summertime Study Guide and reach your guitar goals.
How Summertime Transforms Your Playing
1. Make Jazz Soloing Fun -
Stop dreading your jazz soloing practice time as you learn how to have fun experimenting and exploring with jazz concepts that produce real results today.
2. Develop Creative Chord Vocabulary - Learn the exact outside chords and devices jazz guitarists use to turn plain chords into sophisticated jazz phrases without spending all day in the woodshed.
3. Play Jazz Guitar with Confidence - Build your confidence as you learn how to play authentic jazz chords and soloing concepts. Sound like a jazz veteran with these fun exercises.
What You Get with the Summertime Study Guide – Quick List
Whew, that was a lot to take in! Here’s a quick recap of what you get when you enroll in Body and Soul.
Zero Risk 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
To make sure you have ZERO risk, you’re protected by a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee.
If you’re not happy with this course for any reason, simply send Matt an email ([email protected]) or instant message, and he’ll refund your money.
No questions asked. No hassle. No waiting.
We guarantee that if you play these exercises you will reach your musical goals and have fun in the practice room.
If not, we’ll make it right…right away!
This course is only available to GMM Members
PreviewSummertime Study Guide Intro Video (3:28)
StartHow to Play Summertime Workshop (56:22)
StartBehind the Summertime SG Design (2:28)
StartAll Files Zip (non iOS users)
StartAll Files All Devices
StartJazz Comping Vocabulary Supplement PDF and Audio
StartJazz Soloing Vocabulary Supplement PDF and Audio
Still Feeling Undecided?
When does this course start and finish?
This course starts now and never ends! It’s a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact Matt by email [email protected] in the first 30 days of your purchase and you will receive a full refund.
Can I download the files for each course?
You can download all PDFs, audio examples, and backing tracks to practice offline. The videos are only viewed on the page.
What if I have a question about the courses or about music?
You can post all questions related to the course in the comments section of any section. I aim to answer all questions within 24 hours of posting. Also, you can use the instant messenger on the bottom right of page to ask questions or you can email me at [email protected].
What if I don’t know where to go next after finishing this course
No worries, use our success paths and follow the step-by-step guides to learning what you want to work on – getting started, jazz guitar, blues guitar, guitar technique, lead guitar, rhythm guitar and much more!
This course is only available to GMM Members