“I know chords, I know where I’m supposed to play them, but why every time I comp on a tune I sound nothing like my favorite players? My comping is correct, but boring as hell. It’s driving me crazy!"
The biggest problem you face when learning rhythm guitar (that keeps your practicing at a standstill and not experiencing results) is:
Spending a ton of time learning chord shapes only to sound accurate and totally boring when it comes time to comp over a tune.
Sound familiar? Learning rhythm guitar can be a challenging experience, especially if you don’t have an organized, proven learning method to guide you.
Have you had any of these common rhythm guitar experiences?
- You learn chord shapes, but when it’s time to play they’re too big to play quickly and you fall behind the music and lose track of the form.
- You learned how to play “accurate” chords for different situations, but when you comp it sounds like exercises, there’s no musical interaction with the soloist.
- You hear legendary players creating awesome comping phrases, but you’re stuck in a rut playing the same boring chord shapes in every song.
Over the past 2 decades, I've played over 2500 gigs, taught over 8000 private lessons, and given workshops all over the world to guitarists of all levels.
I’ve found that many online courses and teachers overcomplicate rhythm guitar, making soloing difficult to learn with discouraging exercises that produce zero results.
This is 100% not the case with Creative Comping.
In this course, I walk you step-by-step through my proven learning method guaranteed to teach you authentic rhythm guitar with pentatonics.
With Creative Comping, you benefit from my over 25 years of jazz guitar experience, so you know exactly what to practice for immediate results.
3 Ways Creative Comping Expands Your Playing:
1. Create Killer Comping Patterns With Sophisticated Subs - Chord subs made easy as you learn how to add secondary dominants and tritone subs to your comping in an authentic and creative manner.
2. Learn Essential Modern Guitar Rhythms- Never be tongue tied, or finger tied, when it comes to the right rhythm for the job. Nail every essential modern comping rhythm with these workouts.
3. Add Chromatic Ornaments to Your Chords - Take a step outside as you bring the essential tension and release sound to your comping instantly with these exercises.
"Matt’s courses have given me many skills and tools to apply in my guitar playing…"
"His superb lessons are fun, engaging and concepts are very well explained and demonstrated. I am a more confident and skilled guitarist because of Matt’s lessons!"
Here's a Sneak Peek
Learn how to use this course, why you should learn this material, and how to get the most out of your practice time with these lessons.
Expand your rhythm vocabulary with these fun rhythmic exercises that level up your comping skills and musical interaction quickly.
Drop it likes it’s hot with these rootless and bassless chords. Perfect for playing in a combo or when chord soloing in a solo or duo setting.
Add your first chromatic ornament chord as you begin to bring an inside-outside vibe to your comping.
Double it up as you two approach chords into your comping, chord soloing, and chord melody phrases.
A Joe Pass classic, enclosure chords create an outside-outside-inside sound in your comping. Essential technique for every modern guitarist to learn.
One of the most iconic sounds in modern music, secondary dominants are heard in Take the A Train, Girl From Ipanema, Jazz Blues, and many more standards.
You’ve heard of tritone subs, now it’s time to become an expert with this essential jazz guitar chord substation.
Move smoothly between every chord in a 2-5-1 as you learn how to play three chords without moving your hands. Great for comping over fast songs and when you want to bring a Bach like vibe to your chords.
My favorite color chords, 3 to 9’s allow you to play 9th chord sounds over any progression without learning new shapes. Super-fast way to create comping phrases that stand out from the pack.
Test your comping skills with this fun and engaging final challenge. Defeat the “comping boss” to rescue the princess and save the musical kingdom!
I show you how to best review this material and how to take this material forward in your playing. The next best step in your guitar development is in this chapter.
How to Get the Most from Creative Comping
1. Follow the curriculum order - Start with the introduction, learn how the course works, then jump in and practice the chapters in order. All lessons are presented in sequential order to make practicing fun and easy.
2. Practice at your own pace - As you finish any section, click “complete and continue” to mark your progress. Then, play at your own pace. You have lifetime access to this course, so there’s no rush at all. Take your time and work at the best pace to fit your schedule.
3. Coaching from Matt - As you work through this course, post questions in the comment boxes below any exercise or in the chat bubble in the bottom right of any screen if you get stuck. I’m happy to answer your questions and give constructive, positive feedback. You can also post an unlisted YouTube video in the comments for feedback on your playing.
How YOU Benefit from Matt’s Teaching Method
This is how Matt's proven teaching method makes you the best guitarist you can be.
Who is Creative Comping For?
Creative Comping is designed for guitarists looking to build their rhythm guitar vocabulary and better connect with their music through comping.
It's for guitarists who:
- Know chords but struggle to create chord phrases.
- Need a boost with your "beyond shapes" chord work.
- Want to create musical conversations when comping.
- Need help connecting the sounds in your head to the fretboard.
- Know how to comp but need help reaching the next level.
- Want to interact more with the soloist or vocalist in a band.
- Want to discover how the great guitarists become legendary compers.
I've been comping for 25 years in duos, trios, quartets, big bands, pit bands, and with jazz, blues, rock, funk, and pop bands.
I want to share with you everything I've learned about how to be the best comper possible.
Who is this Course NOT For?
As your Jazz Comping guide, my job is to keep this course positive, encouraging, and welcoming for EVERY guitarist who joins. That’s why this course isn’t for you if…
- You’re looking for a “Guitar God quick” fix. There’s no such thing as an overnight guitarist. This program is about building a long-term relationship with the guitar that leads with enjoyment and real growth – not hype or impossible promises.
- You’re not a team player. This isn’t American Idol for guitar, it’s not a competition. The MWG Community is a safe environment for new and experienced guitarists to support and learn from each other. This is for team players who encourage growth in their fellow guitarists – not trolls who heckle their peers.
- You’re a negative Nelly. If you like to complain, tear down, or argue with other guitarists just for the sake of it, this program isn’t for you. We’re about encouragement, welcoming new players, and positive, constructive feedback. No negative energy or comments allowed in this program.
As seen on...
What You Get - Breakdown with Price
FREE MEGA BONUS
Easy Guitar Comping eBook
$20 Yours Free!
When you enroll in the Creative Comping, you not only get the video, pdf, audio, quizzes and bonus live workshop, you also get my best-selling Easy Jazz Guitar Comping eBook.
Don’t wait another minute, enroll in Creative Comping to improve your comping and take advantage of this essential bonus eBook.
FREE MEGA BONUS
Live Jazz Chords Workshop
$200 Yours Free!
When you enroll in Creative Comping, you not only get the full multimedia course, you also get exclusive access to a live soloing workshop.
Don’t wait, grab your copy of Creative Comping to level up your playing and take advantage of this awesome bonus offer.
The Total Value of This Course and Bonuses Is
If you have the desire to learn rhythm guitar, then you can reach your musical goals with the Creative Comping video course.
And, I don’t want you to have to spend a fortune to find rhythm guitar happiness in your practicing.
I’ve made Creative Comping affordable for anyone who wants to ditch the struggle of learning rhythm guitar on their own.
You won’t pay $940, $340, $140 or even $40 like some other overpriced courses you see online…
You’re about to gain immediate access to a proven rhythm guitar learning method that levels up your playing today.
This course is only available to GMM Members
That’s less than you’d pay for 15 minutes of a private lesson.
Instead, you get a full multimedia rhythm guitar course that levels up your playing and helps you quickly reach your guitar goals.
In return for this massive discount, I’d really appreciate your honest and constructive feedback so I can keep making my courses more successful for you and everyone in the MWG community.
Other than that, all I ask for is your full commitment and positive attitude so you can get the most out of this video course and reach your guitar goals.
How Creative Comping Transforms Your Playing
1. Discover Fretboard Freedom with Chord Colors -
Blow open your comping by learning how to create quick chord colors on the fretboard for any chord. Total harmonic freedom awaits, come get it!
2. Learn How to Hear the Exact Right Chord for the Moment - Stop guessing at what inversion, which color, and what sub to use when. Know the exact right chord sound for every musical situation.
3. Inspire Any Soloist With “inside-outside” Chord Concepts - Learn the art of “compersation” as you comp in a conversational style behind any soloist. Your phone will ring off the hook for rhythm guitar gigs once you have this skill under your fingers.
What You Get with Creative Comping – Quick List
This course is only available to GMM Members
Secure Payments. Safe and Secure SSL Encryption
1 Payment = Lifetime Access
StartChapter 2 PDF and Backing Tracks
StartVideo Lesson - Whole and Half Note Rhythms (4:04)
StartVideo Lesson - Freddie Green Rhythms (3:25)
StartVideo Lesson - Charleston (3:33)
StartVideo Lesson - Syncopation 1 (2:20)
StartVideo Lesson - Syncopation 2 (3:46)
StartVideo Lesson - Bossa Rhythm (4:15)
Still Feeling Undecided?
When does this course start and finish?
This course starts now and never ends! It’s a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact Matt by email [email protected] in the first 30 days of your purchase and you will receive a full refund.
Can I download the files for each course?
You can download all PDFs, audio examples, and backing tracks to practice offline. The videos are only viewed on the page.
What if I have a question about the courses or about music?
You can post all questions related to the course in the comments section of any section. I aim to answer all questions within 24 hours of posting. Also, you can use the instant messenger on the bottom right of page to ask questions or you can email me at [email protected].
What if I don’t know where to go next after finishing this course
No worries, use our success paths and follow the step-by-step guides to learning what you want to work on – getting started, jazz guitar, blues guitar, guitar technique, lead guitar, rhythm guitar and much more!
This course is only available to GMM Members